Common Auto Insurance Mistakes
Did You Know?
You may not think an error on your auto insurance application is a big deal, but the consequences can be costly. Providing inaccurate information on your application can lead to increased premiums, policy cancellations or limited financial assistance in the event of an accident.
- Not listing all drivers—Anyone who continuously drives your vehicle, even if it’s just for a short period of time a week, should be listed on your policy.
- Giving a false vehicle location—The difference between parking in one zip code versus another can greatly affect the amount of coverage you need for your vehicle. Failing to report your car’s true location can impact the accuracy of your insurance quotes.
- Not reporting infractions—It’s best to be upfront about your driving record to avoid any conflicts or discrepancies. Your insurance company can easily retrieve any driving records from the DMV to verify your application.
- Not disclosing business uses—In some cases, you may need a specialized policy when driving for business purposes or for a rideshare company, like Uber or Lyft. Failing to take the proper steps to ensure an appropriate policy for your specific driving purposes could lead to a lack of coverage following an accident.
- Failing to update life changes—Changing home addresses or allowing another family member to start driving your vehicle (e.g., your partner or child) are all life changes that need to be updated on your policy. By not reporting changes, you may be overpaying for coverage and missing out on available discounts.
Be Honest on Your Application to Avoid the Consequences
Inaccuracies on your auto insurance application can end up costing you more money in the long run. If you think that you may have given false information on your auto insurance application, call your insurance agent to update your auto policy and avoid any ramifications.
This flyer is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. © 2019 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.